Pages

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Books I read in 2015 (part 2)

If you follow me on Twitter or Bloglovin, you might have read the first half of my 'Books I read in 2015' series over the weekend.

For those of you who haven't read it yet, I read 50 books in 2015 so I'm blogging about them and giving each book a one sentence review. So, without further ado, here are my summaries of books 26-50! Again, I've provided links to each book if you're interested in reading them.


26. Anne of Avonlea, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Another lovely and quaint story about a slightly wiser Anne, but nothing will ever beat the first book (see the last entry of my previous post)!

27. Anne of the Island, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Anne goes off to college in this book which means a lot of the series' childish charm has disappeared by this point.

28. Anne of Windy Poplars, Lucy Maud Montgomery
The worst book of the series - a huge part of the book is made up of letter exchanges between Anne and her boyfriend which makes for a very slow and plodding narrative.

29. Anne's House of Dreams, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Back to form with a bang - Anne starts a family and the whole thing is beautiful!

30. Anne of Ingleside, Lucy Maud Montgomery
A hilarious book full of Anne's children's adventures, sorrows, joys and scrapes.

31. Rainbow Valley, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Another excellent book which introduces a whole new family and their trials and tribulations.

32. Rilla of Ingleside, Lucy Maud Montgomery
The most poignant book of the series which requires many tissues - Anne and her family live through the horrors of World War I and certainly don't emerge unscathed.

33. The Illegal Gardener, Sara Alexi 
Your heart is made of stone if the heartbreak and the desperately unjust juxtaposition depicted in this book fails to have a profound and lasting effect on you, particularly during the current political climate.

34. Dead Wrong, Helen Durrant
This book would have been absolutely amazing if a clumsy throwaway sentence in the middle of the book hadn't revealed the identity of the murderer!

35. Dead Silent, Helen Durrant
An enthralling book with a cliffhanger ending which means you just HAVE to download the next one.

36. Dead List, Helen Durrant
Although this was another gripping read throughout, the excitement petered out in the final chapters which contributed to a disappointing anticlimax.

37. Finding Emma, Steena Holmes
Not the type of book I'd usually read as it was quite sentimental, but I couldn't put it down until I reached the very tearful end.

38. What Katy Did, Susan Coolidge
A book I always intended to read when I was younger but never got around it... an easy read with lots of obligatory morals and lessons!

39. The Magpies, Mark Edwards
This book massively freaked me out by focusing on perfectly ordinary people in ordinary situations who turn into absolute monsters and life-wreckers... they could live next door to anyone!

40. Girl on a train, A.J.Waines
A slow start, but the characters in this book are cleverly and intricately woven to create a pretty shocking finale.

41. Lost Girls, Angela Marsons
Another grim encounter with DI Kim Stone which involves the abduction of two little girls, and yet another Marsons book you won't be able to put down!

42. The Girl in the Spider's Web, David Lagercrantz
I was disappointed by this book and didn't think it lived up to the original trilogy - a slightly confusing narrative which lacks Larsson's captivating writing style.

43. Dark Murder, Helen Durrant
A spin off to the original Durrant trilogy which doesn't disappoint - a whole new set of characters and their challenges who are arguably more interesting than the original cast!

44. Splinter the Silence, Val McDermid
Tony Hill and Carol Jordan reunite to solve a crime which hasn't even been uncovered yet... another blinder from the queen of crime fiction!

45. Christmas is Murder, Val McDermid
A short story collection which still manages to enthral in spite of the brevity of the stories.

46. Girl number one, Jane Holland
Just spectacular - most certainly one of the best and most addictive books I've read all year.

47. Miranda, Jane Holland
I was hoping for more of the same after reading Girl Number One, but Miranda is much more slow-paced, more philosophical and less appealing.

48. No Kiss Goodbye, Janelle Harris
This book blew me away and left me shell-shocked, questioning everything I thought I knew about the human mind and its complex emotions.

49. Little Girl Gone, Alexandra Burt
A journey into a mother's damaged subconsciousness where the reader cleverly finds out the next shocking development alongside the protagonist as she uncovers her buried memories.

50. Stranger Child, Rachel Abbott
What a book to end the year... I read this in a day and was absorbed by the plot twists, scandalous revelations and constant suspense.


I'm already on my third book in 2016... any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! :)