Pages

Wednesday 29 January 2014

My social media objectives for 2014

I love a good SMART objective. All objectives should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time Bound. If they're not SMART, they're not objectives!

I've decided to set myself a few objectives for my social networking sites this year as it's useful to have some goals to measure yourself against to make sure you're making progress and achieving everything you set out to achieve. I work in communications so I've been busy setting objectives and writing a strategy for my professional social media sites, so I thought it would be beneficial to set some for my personal sites too. I'm a self confessed social media addict and I'm keen to achieve more on my social networking sites this year than I ever have before.

So here are my personal social media objectives for 2014!



My blog 


  • To revamp and rename my blog by April 2014. Although I like the way blog looks at the moment, it could look a lot more professional. I also really like the name of my blog, but unfortunately the littlemissbusy.blogspot.co.uk URL isn't available and I want the name to match the URL. 
  • To set up a Google Analytics account for my blog by April 2014. I use Google Analytics for work and absolutely love it, but it's always been set up for me by web developers so I need to figure out how to set an account up myself for my own blog. Can anyone link me to any blog posts on how to do this?
  • To reach 100 followers on Bloglovin by the end of the year. I will (hopefully) achieve this by publicising my Bloglovin presence a lot more and taking part in more blogger chats. 
  • To ensure that I read other blogs and comment on them for at least half an hour every week throughout the year. I'm very busy at the moment with wedding planning so I think this is a realistic time commitment to set for this objective. Achieving this objective will also help me to achieve the second objective!
  • To take part in at least two blogger chats per month throughout the year. Blogger chats are a great way to engage with other bloggers and to find new blogs to read. They're also very helpful as you often find out that other bloggers have exactly the same insecurities about their blog as you have. 
  • To attend at least one blogger meet-up before the end of the year. I'm very scared about this one, but I'm determined to step out of my comfort zone and just do it!




Twitter


  • To reach 350 Twitter followers by the end of the year. I currently have 255 so this is a realistic objective. I will achieve this milestone by taking part in more blogger chats as I've mentioned above and tweeting more about current affairs which are of interest to me, using the relevant hashtags for increased exposure.
  • To ensure that I engage with at least 5 new people on Twitter every week throughout the year. These could be fellow bloggers, authors, retailers and so on. 
  • To ensure that at least 40% of traffic to my blog is driven there from Twitter. Twitter is the biggest promotional tool I have for my blog at the moment and I'm hoping this will continue throughout 2014.
     




Pinterest


  • To reach 100 followers by the end of the year. Achieving the set objectives below will help me to achieve this milestone. 
  • To follow at least 100 new people/boards by the end of the year.
  • To have at least one Pinterest 'binge' per week! I absolutely adore Pinterest but I do sometimes forget to visit the site for weeks at a time if I'm particularly busy. 
  • To comment on at least 5 pins per week as well as re-pin. I re-pin loads of pins on Pinterest but never take the time to comment, which means I'm not making the most of my engagement opportunities.
     



Instagram


  • To reach 150 followers by the end of the year. I currently only have 30 followers as I've only had an Instagram account for two months, but I think it has huge potential for me so I think this is a realistic objective. 
  • To follow 100 new people by the end of the year. I currently follow 115 people, most of which are bloggers or Disney people.
  • To make better links between Instagram and my blog by promoting at least one photo from my blog on Instagram every week. I love a bit of social media integration. 
  • To have an Instagram 'binge' at least once per week where I like and comment on other people's photos. Again, I can't expect people to engage with my photos if I'm not reciprocating. It's all about two-way communication. I do have difficulty with Instagram as I have a Blackberry which means that I don't have the official Instagram app. The Blackberry version is called 'Blackgram' (I know, awful name) and is very glitchy, to put it nicely!



LinkedIn


  • To reach 300 connections by the end of the year. I currently have 240 connections and this number tends to creep up quite slowly, so this is a realistic objective. 
  • To follow 10 new company pages before the end of the year. There are lots of relevant company pages on LinkedIn with interesting content, both from a professional and a personal perspective. 
  • To join 5 new LinkedIn groups before the end of the year, and to engage with these groups as and when interesting topics arise. This will be a great way of engaging with like-minded people and picking up tips on various topics which interest me. 

I'll write a 'Halfway through the year' post in June to let you know how I'm getting on these objectives. I'm now off to read and comment on some blogs... I'm going to start as I mean to go on! 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some great goals - I actually don't have any blogging goals other than to stay true to my blog and blog what I want too.

    There's certainly a noticeable difference in commenting on other blogs - i'm normally taking an hour of my day to catch up on my favorites and hopefully leaving semi decent comments. Blog chats can help, but there's so many these days and some just seem to be all about the linking at the end. Even with the link sharing I don't think you always get too many new followers through it, most sadly seem to be about sharing their own link and not checking on new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be being a bit over ambitious here :) I like having things to aim for, but it's also important not to get too caught up in the stats.

      I'm going to make a really conscious effort to sit down regularly to read and comment on other blogs, not just to increase engagement but because I genuinely enjoy reading other people's blogs. I also love comments so I assume that other bloggers do too :)

      I do agree about the blogger chats... I do find new blogs at the end when people post their links, but I've only had two or three new followers as a result of blogger chats x

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I’m glad you’re setting objectives on your social media presence. Most of us just blindly put information on ourselves out there for the world to see without stopping to think whether it’s really necessary. By the way, I really appreciate your tips. They’re all concrete and really achievable ways to improve your online visibility.

    Sean Spear

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)