Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Chilli bean con carne

I've been trying to widen my cooking horizons, so tonight I cooked chilli con carne properly for the first time. I used a recipe from this amazing book I had from my Secret Santa at work... my love of baked beans is a bit of a running joke in the office.


Here are the ingredients I used:

500g minced beef
70g chorizo (my own addition!)
One tin of baked beans
One tin of chopped tomatoes
1 onion
1 pepper (again, the recipe didn't include this but I have an insatiable love for peppers)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
Lots of Fry Lite!

The recipe also tells you to use 2 red chillies, but I didn't this time as I haven't used chillies before and didn't want to accidentally make the food too spicy. I don't mind a bit of spice, but I do like to be able to taste my food rather than it burning all my taste buds off. 

It was very simple to make, which is always helpful. I cooked the mince first, then added the chorizo, onions, peppers and garlic. After heating those for about 5 minutes, I added the tomato puree, herbs and chilli powder, then added the beans and tomatoes last of all. 




Using baked beans instead of kidney beans was definitely a good variation, and I think it actually improves the taste of the sauce. And chorizo makes everything taste better, obviously.

What shall I cook next?

2 comments:

Thanks for your comment! :)